for equal justice
in our community
Since 1966, Legal Aid Society of Rockland County, Inc. (LASRC) has provided free civil legal services to Rockland County, New York residents who cannot afford private attorneys. We strive to ensure that Rockland County families and individuals, seniors and children, have access to a safe home, enough food to eat, public benefits to which they are entitled, medical care and adequate shelter.
Corona Virus Update
Effective immediately, this office of Legal Aid Society of Rockland County (2 Congers Road) will be closed until further notice because of the health threat posed by coronavirus. Our staff continues to work and is available to assist you. Whether you would like to contact us about a case you already have with our office or you have a new issue needing immediate attention, please feel free to call us weekdays between 9AM and 5PM at our toll-free number: (800)454-3627, or at (845) 634-3627
Essential Court Proceedings
These Essential Court Proceedings are Functioning Now
- bail applications, reviews and writs
- temporary orders of protection
- resentencing of retained and incarcerated defendants
- essential sex offender registration act (SORA) matters
- Child protection intake cases involving removal applications
- newly filed juvenile delinquency intake cases involving remand placement applications, or modification thereof
- emergency family offense petitions/temporary orders of protection
- orders to show cause
- stipulations on submission
- Mental Hygiene Law (MHL) applications and hearings addressing patient retention or release MHL hearings addressing the involuntary administration of medication and other medical care
- newly filed MHL applications for an assisted out-patient treatment (AOT) plan
- emergency applications in guardianship matters
- temporary orders of protection (including but not limited to matters involving domestic violence)
- emergency applications related to the coronavirus
- emergency Election Law applications
- extreme risk protection orders (ERPO)
- Applications addressing landlord lockouts (including reductions in essential services)
- applications addressing serious code violations
- applications addressing serious repair orders
- applications for post-eviction relief
Any other matter that the court deems essential
The State of New York has compiled a useful resource to help us understand the services that are available in various socio-economic scenarios. Click the image or button to view and download it.
Legal Aid Practice Areas
We are proud of our record of providing critically needed, civil legal assistance to thousands of low-income people each year – people in our community who have nowhere else to turn. With more than 44 years of providing access to justice for those in need, LASRC continues to respond to the growing demand for legal help. We invite you to learn more about the areas in which we focus our services:
HELP THOSE IN NEED IN YOUR COMMUNITY!
Please consider making a donation to help the Legal Aid Society of Rockland County, Inc. continue to provide free legal assistance to Rockland County residents in need.
If you have questions, we invite you to call us at (845) 634-3627 to discuss donation options.
If you have any questions, please contact Joshua Wojehowski, Director of Development, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (845) 634-3627, ext.20, to learn how you can give a gift and make a difference!
STAY UP TO DATE
Get the latest news and updates.
Your personal information will not be shared, sold or given to anyone, ever.